January 17, 2010

OHM'S LAW (V = I x R)

This formula is going to be super important as we try to build our own circuits and need to determine the correct component for our schematic:

VOLTAGE (V) = CURRENT (I) x RESISTANCE (R)

  • V= I x R
  • I = V / R
  • R= V / I
VOLTAGE is expressed in VOLTS
CURRENT is expressed in AMPS
*
RESISTANCE is expressed in OHMS
  • volts = amps x ohms
  • amps = volts / ohms
  • ohms = volts / amps
A trick I learned to remember this formula is to think of each letter as an animal (vulture, iguana, rabbit). The vulture is flying above, and the iguana and the rabbit are below.
  • To the Vulture, the Iguana and Rabbit are at the same level. (V=I x R)
  • To the Iguana, the Vulture is above the Rabbit. (I = V / R)
  • To the Rabbit, the Vulture is above the Iguana. (R = V / I)
*mA = MILLAMP = 1/1000 amp = .001 amp

No comments:

Post a Comment