January 11, 2010

FIRST PROJECT

This is my first attempt to create an oscillator, using a schematic that I found at hackaday.com .

ITEM LIST:

IC1 - 7805 5V Voltage Regulator

IC2 - 40106 Hex Inverter
R2 - 100K Potentiometer
C1 - 0.1uF Capacitor
9V Battery Clip
9V Battery
3.5mm Audio Connector





I built it on a solderless breadboard and sent the output signal into my keyboard amp. The finished oscillator sounded like this : listen here

Although it looks simple, it took me forever to figure out how this works. Where the schematics says IC2P, the ground from the IC2 is connected, as well as the ground from the audio connector. What also took forever to figure out was that the Voltage Regular has the three wires arranged positive, negative, ground and not positive, ground, negative as I expected.

I also dont quite understand the 7 and 14 behind the VSS and VDD. The ground on the IC2 comes from the 7 pin, but the supply comes from the 8 pin, not 14. The oscillator actually makes a different sound when connected to different pins between 8-14. Does anyone know why this is? I don't see how it changes the resistance.

1 comment:

  1. I understand now how the voltage regulator works. The 9V positive input from the battery goes into the regulator, and comes out as 5V positive output.

    I also understand why I was confused about the pin numbering system. The pins are numbered counter clockwise around the IC, I was numbering them from top to bottom, left column then right column. Pin 14 is the correct pin for supply!

    ReplyDelete